Let’s be honest, red and peach are extremely outdated exterior paint colours. This country bungalow’s new owners wanted to give their home a fresh look from the inside out. Look how these Benjamin Moore paint colours really gave this home an updated classic new look.
Question: It’s time to finally decorate my 2 yr old daughters bedroom. I am on a very tight budget and have a collection of hand me down furniture. Any ideas on how I can make my little girls room look like a designer did it? I need inspiration.
Hi Maureen, No need to worry, you can make your daughters bedroom look custom designed. We have chosen this photo above as the inspiration for your daughters bedroom.
In situations like this, start with the use of colour (paint) to make the room pop. Then layer in some found accessories and you will be amazed at the result.
- Paint all of the walls and ceiling white (Benjamin Moore OC-117 Simply White)
- The wall that will be the main focal point, needs to be taped off in a similar pattern to the photo above.
- Paint out that focal wall in a deep purple or sapphire blue. (Choosing between Benjamin Moore AF-590 Tempest or CSP-560 Nile Blue)
- Peel off tape to reveal your wallpaper like art
- Lets use your existing second hand furniture.
- Paint a nice coral pink on all pieces. This will turn the bed, side table and dresser into a “set”. (Benjamin Moore 2170-40 Coral Spice)
- Now it gets fun!
- Find accessories that tie the room together, I am thinking gold (framing, lighting, mirror)
- Sometimes you can find some amazing accessories and just give them a few coats of gold spray paint.
- White accents will soften the rest of the space. (bedding, artwork and drapery)
- Choosing pillows in bold patterns will really look pretty, I would be looking for some in yellow, white and coral pink.
- Then throw in some fun and whimsical accents.
Voila, just an example of how thrifty a room can be with the use of colour, paint and a little creativity
Do you have a design question for us?
Send questions to email@example.com with the subject “designer advice”.
Fortunately, there are many creative ways in which you can spice up your décor with red’s ebullient energy without feeling overwhelmed.
Red is present in pinks, corals, mauves and violets. If you can’t picture yourself in a red bedroom, how about one painted in dreamy pink cadillac (2002-70)—a romantic, soft pink.
Red for Small Rooms
A rich, bold red can give a modest powder room or entryway stately elegance. The secret is to balance a strong colour like red with a soft neutral. For bathrooms, we recommend our mildew-resistant Aura® Bath and Spa paint to ensure the durability of any colour you choose.
Flashes of Red
- Create a focal point or define a space with a red accent wall. Try million dollar red (2003-10) for a taste of vibrant eye candy
- Add playful touches of red in unexpected places like stair risers, the interior of a bookcase or china cabinet, or the legs of a table
- Paint selected pieces of furniture red to bring a fresh element to a room
- Paint red stripes in different shades and widths on a plain wall
- Paint your floor red
The Great (Red) Outdoors
- Depending upon the color scheme of your exterior, consider painting your front door red.
- Give a mailbox the rustic treatment by distressing it and painting it merlot red (2006-10).
- Wood decks, siding, porch floors, planters and outdoor furniture can be stained in luscious red hues with our Arborcoat®solid or semi solid exterior stains.
School is out and it’s the perfect time to re-design your kids bedrooms, with their help of course.
Here are 6 wallpapers by Graham & Brown that your kids will love…come into the store and let us help you pull the space together.
Graham & Brown have a large selection of floral wallpapers, from delicate blossoms to roses in bloom.
Choose from a selection of floral trails to simple motifs, there is a full range of colours available from beautiful dusky pinks and lilacs to the more flamboyant and striking blues and greens. Their designs have shimmer effect backgrounds or exquisite metallic highlights to really bring the flowers to life. To add a soft and feminine feel to a room choose wallpapers with flowers.