Question: It’s time to finally decorate my 2 yr old daughters bedroom. I am on a very tight budget and have a collection of hand me down furniture. Any ideas on how I can make my little girls room look like a designer did it? I need inspiration.
Hi Maureen, No need to worry, you can make your daughters bedroom look custom designed. We have chosen this photo above as the inspiration for your daughters bedroom.
In situations like this, start with the use of colour (paint) to make the room pop. Then layer in some found accessories and you will be amazed at the result.
- Paint all of the walls and ceiling white (Benjamin Moore OC-117 Simply White)
- The wall that will be the main focal point, needs to be taped off in a similar pattern to the photo above.
- Paint out that focal wall in a deep purple or sapphire blue. (Choosing between Benjamin Moore AF-590 Tempest or CSP-560 Nile Blue)
- Peel off tape to reveal your wallpaper like art
- Lets use your existing second hand furniture.
- Paint a nice coral pink on all pieces. This will turn the bed, side table and dresser into a “set”. (Benjamin Moore 2170-40 Coral Spice)
- Now it gets fun!
- Find accessories that tie the room together, I am thinking gold (framing, lighting, mirror)
- Sometimes you can find some amazing accessories and just give them a few coats of gold spray paint.
- White accents will soften the rest of the space. (bedding, artwork and drapery)
- Choosing pillows in bold patterns will really look pretty, I would be looking for some in yellow, white and coral pink.
- Then throw in some fun and whimsical accents.
Voila, just an example of how thrifty a room can be with the use of colour, paint and a little creativity
Do you have a design question for us?
Send questions to email@example.com with the subject “designer advice”.